Jun 26, 2013

What's in the Bag - Volume 6



This lens does NOT get a lot of play. It's a wide angle lens that is just a bit too bendy for portraits. Well, for close ups, anyway. I have used it when I want to tell the story of the location but being a wide angle lens, it distorts headshot style portraits in a weird and awkward way that I don't care for. Plus, the bulk of my shooting is done in the studio and this is not a great lens for that kind of environment.

However, I do live in a spectacular location – Whitehorse Yukon – where the landscape is unforgettably beautiful and immensely photograph-able. There are numerous landscape photographers in my area who can attest to that! So for outdoor shoots like family or kids portraits, it is a fun one to use now and then to create a sense of scale and to celebrate the environment. I normally only shoot on location at our family farm – Sourdough Sodbusters- which is my favorite outdoor location because I know the layout so well as well as the path of the sunlight & shadows. Not to mention that I have a number of sets laid out in various spots on the property to create a variety of photos for my clients.

All in all, this is a great lens to have if you're a portrait shooter who wants to be able to grab a bunch of the environment in some of the shots. It's essential as a landscape photographer.

Do you have this lens? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment