Feb 27, 2013

The Photographer's Mind

I can't say for sure just how long it's been since photographing my own boys but it's been an awfully long time. I got a bit of new camera gear after participating in a lighting workshop and tonight was my first kick at the can with the new goodies. Luckily, despite the fact that I didn't get home from work until after 9pm, Seth was totally up for posing while I tinkered.


Nikon D800 24-70mm 2.8 ISO400, 160 sec F4 flash at 1/32 power
One of the things that I love about the image above is that it's a little moody and dark. I usually photograph kids in lots of light, looking into the camera with sparkly eyes and big smiles. I think that this more introspective, still quality is a key part of their personalities and I feel like I can see another part of who Seth is when everyone's not looking. This image feels very quiet and mature.  

While I was mostly playing with light and adjusting the intensity & position, I see a feeling that really resonates. I am looking forward to doing more shooting with my guys at home and at the studio. They are growing & changing so fast, I better record the days before they're a distant memory. Not to mention the fact that we lost so many images in the fire. This one above will definitely be getting printed. 

 I also cannot resist those big blue eyes and long, long lashes. He's so darned handsome, a color photo is a must. Oh, how quickly  time passes. 

Nikon D800 24-70mm 2.8 ISO400, 160 sec F4 flash at 1/32 power



1 comment:

  1. Fantastic work. I spent the first 2 1/2 years of my son's life capturing images. I can feel for your loss having those precious images lost in a fire. Still, you have time now to make up...

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete