Apr 15, 2013

What's in the Bag - Volume 4

The very first lens I owned. The Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8 lens which came with my original Fuji S2 (bought second-hand from a friend) was the only lens I had for the first few years as I got to know my camera. It was my first foray into shooting with something a little fancier than a point-and-shoot. It was a long road of trial and error but a journey I was quite happy to take.

While it does have a few limitations (the focal range isn't very long and the autofocus motor is getting a little loud) it will still do whatever I ask it to. It is no longer the first lens I reach for as I very much prefer the sharpness and color vibrance that I get with my newer prime lenses but this is still a winner. However, my exact lens is showing signs of age and is in need of replacing. It's the next lens on my to-buy list.

When my clients ask me for camera advice, I often recommend this kind of lens for a starter lens. Especially for those who want to photograph people rather than landscapes. You can't go wrong with a zoom lens within this range. I mean, you CAN shoot landscapes but the zoom isn't very significant. You'd be better off with a 70-200mm at least but that's for another post.

You can pick up one of these lenses for your own kit for a few hundred dollars. It is such a handy lens to have.

Do you have this lens? How do you like it? Is it a lens you reach for often or does it gather dust? Tell me what you think of this piece of gear!

See you soon,
Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment