Apr 1, 2013

What's in the bag - Volume 3

Alright, now that you know what I use for a camera body (read that post here), lets look at the different lenses. In my very first post, you'll notice that my list of lenses is pretty long. Only one of those lenses is a wide-angle and the rest are just fantastic for portraits. I have made my last few lens purchases very thoughtfully, with very specific kinds of shooting in mind.

The first lens I'd like to talk about is my Nikkor 50mm 1.4. This was my go-to lens for a very long time. I had the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 for about a year but knew that it had limitations that the 1.4 could easily overcome. When I shoot either in the studio or on my farm, there are fewer things in an image that make my heart pitter-patter like the buttery soft bokeh that only a 1.4 (or lower) can really achieve.

When photographing little ones, not being distracted by background elements is essential for how I shoot and I can best achieve this with my 1.4. I am also able to get quite close to my subject without losing focus or sharpness. Now, it is a prime lens (no zoom) so when I need to get closer or farther away, I “zoom with my feet”. I adore the image quality of this lens and the way it performs in lower-light environments when I'm relying on ambient (available) light.

When used on a full-frame camera, this lens closely represents images similarly to how the eye sees. This is another reason why I love this lens. Also, it's itty-bitty so when working in close quarters, its low profile is super handy. And for folks who are intimidated by being in front of the camera, this is a nice lens to start with because it is not as scary looking. Although, I do have to get all up in their grill a bit more without the zoom function but I certainly don't start a session that way. We ease into me working within their personal space – I ask permission to get close and I always respect their answer :) It's a privilege to be invited into someones “bubble” and it's something I take very seriously.

Trust is a hugely important element when photographing anybody- especially kids. This lens has always been a favorite and I can predict its abilities and limitations every time I use it. I have a new lens on my camera at the moment (I'll elaborate in a future post) but my heart really belongs to the 50mm 1.4.

Do you have a favorite lens? I'd love to know what it is and why. Is it the low profile that you like or is it the quiet auto-focus motor? Is it the way it rocks a long exposure when shooting the Northern Lights or is it how it allows you to get super close to a Grizzly bear without actually taking your life into your own hands?? Tell me all about it!! I want to know :)

See you soon
Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment