Sep 15, 2011

reading list | whitehorse children's photographer

Okay, I admit it. I'm a chronic book buyer. I have multiple shelves crammed with books but I can honestly say I've ready most of them... however, I buy them more frequently than it seems like I take the time to actually read them. I am a big fat book nerd. I really love marketing books and other kinds of business oriented non-fiction! So much so that the other day, while picking up a copy of the newest Artemis Fowl book for my oldest son, the man behind the counter asked me if he was allowed to sell me this children's graphic novel because I'm only a non-fiction customer.

But while I love business & marketing books and other non-fiction (don't even get me started on DIY and other how-to publications!) I do adore a good, effortless novel. That kind of read is akin to a vacay for my brain.

As you may or may not know, I love my birthday and just so happen to celebrate it for an entire week. I have a girlfriend who does likewise and her birthday isn't long after mine. So for the last few years, we've been helping each other celebrate birthday week with boxes full of gifts - one for each day of birthday week including a traditional birthday book. Her criteria for a birthday week book is based largely on cover art. My criteria tends to only require that it be an autobiography of a celeb...and the trashier, the better.

This past year, neither she nor I really needed any more stuff so instead (while home on Vancouver Island for birthday week) we visited the Chapters in Victoria BC and bought each other a stack of novels. Oh, and we threw in cook books for good measure but that was just a means of manipulating her household rule of "no more buying cook books" (this was a gift so she's okay!)

This particular title ONE DAY by DAVID NICHOLLS was one of the books in the stack and I have to tell ya, I read half of it in one day (almost in one sitting!). It's being made into a movie but I'm a strict "book first, then movie" kinda gal. So far, this novel is easy to follow along, the characters are satisfyingly complicated without being confusing and the pace of the story line is adequate to keep my tired mommy/entrepreneur brain pleasantly engaged without it feeling like work. Perfect. So far I give this four out of five stars... I save the decision regarding the potential for a fifth star on the ending which I hear is pretty good. I'll get back to you on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment