Jun 5, 2013

Enchanting the Lens

Now, I'm not a fashion photographer per se, but I do have a background in fashion. One of my first businesses was in fashion design. It was a fabulous, fun and creative job but not something that has a huge influence in my life now. However, lots of inspiration for my photography does originate in the fashion scene.

I was hired to shoot some fashion-type photos for local clothing store, Sandors. These two beauties are twin sisters (one of whom works in the shop). The owner gave me his list of priorities for the shoot and the rest - the creative bits- were up to me.

I had just recently acquired some new lighting equipment & modifiers and was eager to put them to use so we converted a corner of the shop into an impromptu studio. I went in with a plan of how I would highlight the various products as requested by the owner and also utilizing the models' natural beauty to compliment the clothing & accessories.

Nikon D800 ISO100 65mm F8 1/160sec
Angles (specifically triangles) are particularly compelling elements to include in a photograph - especially a portrait type of photo. Bodies take on this shape naturally so this is what I'm highlighting here. These angles direct the eye and tell you where to look.

Nikon D800 ISO100 38mm F10 1/160sec
Of course, with jewelry like this, the best way to showcase all that detail is to go macro. I used my 60mm 2.8 Macro lens to create this image.

Nikon D800 ISO100 70mm F13 1/160sec
I wanted this shoot to feel edgy, urban and modern. I am super happy with how the shoot turned out and so is my client but I would love to know what you think. Which image do you like or dislike and why? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, those are fabulous. I love them all!! If I had to pick a favourite I think I'd go with the middle one...although I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe its the contrast of the dark and light, or maybe her position in the shot. I've never really thought about what I like or dislike in photos before!

    ReplyDelete